Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Peel back the layers

So I've been into biking now for about six years. When I first started, I was confused/intimidated by bike culture. A lot of it seemed like snobbery and elitism, and while that can still sometimes be the case, I've grown to understand and appreciate it much more. After all, every sub-sect of society develops their own social norms. It's a way of identifying each other as part of the culture and it's a way of setting yourself apart from others that aren't part of your culture. My experience has been that when you peel back the layers of that seemingly elitist sub-culture, bikers are incredibly nice and genuine people. The Omaha bike community is a very close knit group of people that look out for each other and are quick to welcome outsiders into the fold. So in other words, I'm starting to get it (bike culture that is)............And then you peel back the layers a little further and you find this. Apparently the social norms of bike culture vary a bit from community to community.

2 comments:

Angrybutcher said...

Those people are weird...

jc4300 said...

I'm speechless. After all these years of believing it was over-the-top foolishness, I now see the neon street gangs in Batman Forever were based on real life.